The Paper/Reflection – Due by
1. Your reflection should be 750-1000 words double spaced in Microsoft Word (If you are using another word processing application please convert your final submission into .doc)
2. There should be 3 parts to your paper.
a. Each part will be a reflection on one aspect of the course
b. The ‘parts’ include Map Analysis and Interpretation (weeks 1 –3), Projections and Coordinate Systems (weeks 4 and 5), Spatial Data Analysis (weeks 6-8), and Map Interpretation (Weeks 9 and 10)
c. Pick three of these parts to reflect on (3 out of the 4 mentioned above)
3. Content for each section
a. Choose a lab that is associated with the part(s) of the course you chose
b. Choose a concept/learning objective in one lab from each of the three ‘parts’ above.
1. For example: From lab #5 one of the learning objectives might have been ‘Identify and distinguish between different types of data’ This is a concept you should explore in more detail for this assignment.
c. Define the learning objective/concept in your own words. Please draw on course materials such as lectures and labs for the explanation of the concept.
d. Explain how you used/accomplished this concept/learning objective in a lab you completed this semester. For example, if you were selecting Projections and Coordinate Systems (For Example: Learning objective: Assign projections to different geographic areas based on location and geographic extent) you can explain what projections are (in your own words/as used in the course) and then discuss how you assigned them to different locations. Please be specific about what lab(s) you are referring to and what questions in the labs demonstrate the concept you chose.
e. Explain what successes or difficulties you had dealing with this learning/ objective/concept.
f. Finally do some independent research. Investigate how this concept has been employed to understand or solve real life problems. For the example of projections you might cite how a poor understanding of projections caused experts to totally misinterpret a misslie threat from North Korea. Feel free to use this example if your paper.
g. You will complete this flow 3 times – once for each section of the class you choose. Each reflection should be about 3 pages – so you should 3-4 pages total.
4. To finish write a short conclusion that reflects on your entire experience in the class. Where did you succeeded? Where did you struggle? Is there something in the course you will take with you once our time together ends?
5. Works Cited Page
a. Please cite your outside research
Oral Presentation – Due the Last Week of Class (PLEASE KEEP POSTED FOR A VIDEO THAT SHOWS YOU HOW TO USE SCREENCASTING SOFTWARE)
If you are in a f2f class – where you meet for discussion in-person please follow the steps for A
If you are in a hybrid or online class – where you do not meet for discussion in-person please follow steps for B
A: Oral Presentations will take place as lightning talks.
1. Each student will have about 2 minutes to explain one aspect of their paper. The paper contains 3 sections. You will focus on one of these sections in your presentation
2. Please include 2 PowerPoint slides in your presentation. One should contain an example of the work you in lab. You will use one of the concepts from the aforementioned list to explain what you did.
3. You will include one slide of an image or a link to a website that shows how the concept you examined shed light or provided insight into a problem.
4. Say a couple of words about your experience in the course.
5. Have fun with this!